Social Media has always been and will, probably, always be an essential tool for marketers. Over the years, it has evolved into a medium to not only communicate with the market, but also a channel to deliver content.
As one of the highly effective forms of content nowadays is in visual form, a surge in popularity of visually based platforms such as Instagram and YouTube is more apparent.
Why Visual Content?
It has to do with how the human brain processes information. It is naturally easier for us to process visual information and interpret it as compared to reading, analysing and then comprehending written text.
Here’s an excerpt from an interview with Marcel Just, the director of the Center for Cognitive Brain Imaging at Carnegie Mellon University.
“Processing print isn’t something the human brain was built for. The printed word is a human artifact. It’s very convenient and it’s worked very well for us for 5,000 years, but it’s an invention of human beings. By contrast Mother Nature has built into our brain our ability to see the visual world and interpret it. Even the spoken language is much more a given biologically than reading written language.”
Aside from that, we have to consider the attention spans of our audience. The ideal would be for the readers to take in the whole content of our message. Unfortunately, in reality, that isn’t always the case. A traditional long-form content has less potential to gain more engagement as compared to an Infographic with the same message and data.
Visual Content is…
Are Instagram and YouTube relevant for my business?
The answer to this question relies on your audience and their behaviour using social media platforms.
- Are these platforms compatible to your Content Strategy?
- Is your audience active in these platforms?
- Is your audience searching in these platforms?
If you answered ‘YES’ to just about every question above, then Instagram or YouTube [or both!] just might be what your business needs.
While the elements above prove effective to determine if Instagram and YouTube are a right fit for your business, ultimately, the choice to use them is up to you.
Using YouTube for Marketing
Over the years, YouTube has proved to be a highly influential digital marketing space for brands and their audiences to connect and engage using videos to promote, entertain, and inform. Below are some marketing tips to improve your YouTube marketing.
- Research for keywords that are relevant to your audience who are usually in the research stage of your brand. Share video content using those keywords to educate your audience.
- Include a powerful call-to-action (CTA) in your video.
- Add your logo in your videos to reinforce brand awareness.
- Track your results and assess if and where it needs further optimisation and improvement.
- Integrate your YouTube account to other social media platforms for further engagement.
Using Instagram for Marketing
With over 500 million monthly users as of date, Instagram is the platform of choice for businesses and brands to promote their business by sharing visual content. Not only does Instagram allow sharing of images, but it has enabled sharing short videos as well making it the go-to platform for brand awareness purposes.
Here are some tips to improve your Instagram marketing.
- Actively engage with your audience.
- Include general and trending, but relevant, hashtags to your posts.
- Use brand-specific hashtags such as your brand name or business name, a marketing campaign you are running, or products and services you are offering.
- Research the most effective posting times and post frequency.
- Integrate your Instagram account to other social media platforms for further engagement.