Social media monitoring is increasingly significant. Social Media Monitoring will let you discover where your market talks about your brand, how popular your brand is, and how it matches up to your competitors. With the data from this, you can use it to optimise your social media marketing strategy and the content you wish to deliver across your social platforms.
Just like social media management tools, there are also countless varieties of social media monitoring tools, both free and paid, that are available and developed over the years. To help you speed up your decision-making process and give you a kick-start on finding the right monitoring tool for you, it’s best to consider the points which will be discussed here.
If you’re looking to acquire social media management tools, click here.
Choosing the Right Social Media Management Tool
- Identify what you need to measure.
Here are some commonly monitored metrics:
This refers to sales derived from social media traffic referrals.
This refers to shares, retweets, likes, comments, clicks and anything else that means an audience has engaged with your content.
This refers to the number of followers, fans, subscribers and any unit of measure that pertains to how large your community is.
This refers to the mentions you receive, whether it’s about your brand, product, service or campaign. It may be negative or positive.
This refers to your competitors’ social media data which you can use to compare to yours to help you optimise your social media marketing.
- Identify the social media platforms you need to monitor.
- Identify what you need the tools for.
This could either mean that you may want to use it for monitoring or to use it for management, as well. Some tools serve as both a monitoring and management tool.
- Determine your budget.
- List down all your options and determine their pros and cons.
Note: A good thing to consider when choosing a tool is if it has a collaboration feature allowing members of your social media team to have access to it.
To give you a general idea of what a social media monitoring tool is and what it does, below is a list of widely known tools. Some of these, you may have heard of.
Sysomos is a comprehensive software for social monitoring and listening on a global scale.
- It can translate 55 languages.
- It can only cater to a limited number of users.
Social Mention is a monitoring tool that scans blogs, videos and sites talking about your brand, campaign, product, or service based on the keywords you set to monitor.
- Ease of use.
- Customisable search options.
- Results are sometimes inaccurate and irrelevant.
Buzzsumo is a popular social media monitoring tool worldwide. With its easy-to-use interface that mimics search engines, you can use it to monitor popular content and influencers based on trends and social presence.
- It has a feature that lets you filter according to format (video, article, etc.)
- Content insights allows you to discover the most shared content across social platforms with the option to run a detailed analytics report.
- Limited category or niche filters.
Klout is a social media monitoring tool used to measure influence using a scoring system unique to it which is called the Klout Score designed to measure the influence and reach of a brand.
- It is a good tool if you are looking to research influencers in your niche.
- Klout’s scoring system is used by online tools.
- Profiles are easy to understand.
- The keyword search feature is not accurate.